These delicious, grilled shrimp are always a big hit. Although sometimes hard to find, I use wild caught shrimp that do not have sodium tripolyphosphate added as a whitener/preservative. Wild caught fish are always a better choice than farmed fish.
- If using fresh shrimp, skip this step. Place frozen shrimp in a colander and place in bowl or pot; cover withcold water and allow to sit for about 10 minutes.
- While waiting for shrimp to thaw, make marinade by mixing remaining ingredients in a bowl or plastic bag.
- If shrimp are not yet thawed, replace water with fresh, cold water and let sit another 5 minutes.
- When shrimp are thawed, drain to remove water and add shrimp to marinade mixture.
- Marinade shrimp for 30 minutes. DO NOT allow shrimp to sit in this mixture for longer or the citric acid might cause shrimp to dry out.
- Tails may be removed or left on for cooking.
- Place on skewers or in grilling basket.
- Grill until inside has turned white and no longer clear, flipping every 2½ minutes for a total of approximately 5 minutes on each side. Please note - size of shrimp will affect cooking time. Be certain to cook shrimp until inside is no longer clear on inside. Do not overcook.
- OPTIONAL: Garnish with fresh mint.
Please note that brown sugar can be used instead of muscovado.