If you’re anything like me, you like to occasionally enjoy a nice slice of homemade bread, a cookie, or perhaps a cupcake–especially around holidays. When I eat something that might not be the healthiest, I try to prepare it with real, wholesome ingredients.
If you’ve read my article, Are You Still Eating Wheat?, you probably already know why this recipe is healthier than other bread recipes. Not only does it contain einkorn flour, it has milk kefir, a fermented milk, which acts as a preservative. This bread will stay fresh for longer than loaves made with water or milk.
Einkorn, is our oldest wheat and the only one left that has not been hybridized. Today, most wheat is sprayed with glyphosate before harvest. The wheat flour I’ve listed in my recipe from *Tropical Traditions is tested for and does not contain glyphosate. It has a lower gliadin to glutenin ratio than modern wheat and can be tolerated by some who have gluten intolerance. DO NOT eat this wheat or wheat bread, if a doctor has instructed you to avoid wheat or gluten!
- 1¼ Cup Milk Kefir*
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3⅓ Cups Jovial's Einkorn Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Organic Evaporated Cane Juice
- 1½ Teaspoons Himalayan or Celtic Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Instant Dry Yeast
- *If using milk instead of milk kefir, increase yeast to 2 teaspoons. ¾ cup yogurt + ½ cup water can be substituted for the milk kefir.
- *Add first six ingredients to bread machine in order they appear.
- Add yeast to the center on top of flour.
- Lock pan into machine.
- Set machine to: 1½ lb., Basic, and Medium.
- Press: Start
- *Follow bread machine instructions for your particular machine.
*If you use my affiliate link for your first ever order at Tropical Traditions, you’ll receive this book absolutely free and I’ll receive a discount coupon for referring you: